This is a conference session of the national Grant Professionals Association’s Annual Conference held November 4th through 7th at the Hyatt Regency Denver at Colorado Convention Center.
Becoming a grants consultant seems like the ideal life! The thought of freedom without prescribed work hours or a boss looking over your shoulder is extremely appealing. You can set your own hours and choose your work assignments as an independent contractor. Thanks in part to the Fourth Industrial Revolution and the advances in technology it brings, becoming a member of the gig economy is even easier.
Independent contractors of any type must be prepared for shifts to their lifestyle, income levels, and time. One minute you are flying high meeting deadlines and others pondering what will you do when you don’t have any assignments in the pipeline. In this session, we will discuss the realities of being self-employed, the ebb and flow of seeking and obtaining assignments, hiring sub-contractors, keeping clients, and marketing.
While this session does not focus on the mechanics of starting a business such as filing for an LLC or DBA and contract language, it will concentrate on what it takes to be a successful consultant. Attendees will learn the following:
- Discovering then capitalizing on your entrepreneurial spirit
- Developing business skills to lead rather than follow
- Obtaining clients and keeping them
- Dealing with the inconsistency of assignments and unpredictable income
- Hiring sub-contractors instead of employees
- Marketing your services that will eventually lead to word-of-mouth recommendations
Those in attendance will benefit as follows:
- Identifying key traits of successful consultants
- Selecting and managing clients
- Determining your niche
- Exceeding client expectations
This is a fun, dynamic session that combines lecture and discussion. You will learn the ins and outs of starting then maintaining a grant-consulting business as a sole practitioner. The handouts provided will be a welcomed resource to help you on your journey.
Register for the entire conference or just one-day at the Grant Professionals Association website.